“Internet Security is not to be taken lightly”.
Most people say it and accept it, but few really care about it. With the ever increasing rate of evolution of Internet Security threats, it is becoming all the way necessary to protect yourself with a robust all-round Internet Protection. Gone are the days, when you could protect yourself with a simple FREE Antivirus package. Now you need something more.
That is the reason, why most vendors are developing Internet Security Programs, which provide the best defense against all-round security threats.
But, with so many Internet Security Programs, how to choose the Best Internet Security Program
For it, you must understand the basic features of an Internet Security Program. You should always look for the following, while evaluating any Internet Security Program.
Features of “Best Internet Security Program”
- Ease of Use: The big list of complex features of any Internet Program is useless, if an average user cannot use them. The best Internet security programs are designed so everyone can use the software regardless of their knowledge of computers.
- Ease of Installation/Setup and Configuration: With so many options, many of which are not known to an average compute user, your Best Internet Security suites should be simple to install, set up and configure, not cause application errors or bog down programs.
- Help/Support – It is important that the manufacturers of security software provide help and support through FAQs, a user manual or a tutorial. They should also provide customer service by phone, email or online chat.
- Frequency of Update: This is most critical. Nowadays, the creators of malware products are constantly at job, Definitions change many times a day. Your Internet Security Software should also be capable of blocking them, and for this to happen, it should also get updated frequently. For instance, PC Tools Internet Security updates its definitions more than 48 times a day.
- Firewall: A firewall is your desktop’s first line of defense and should protect your computer and personal information and monitor ports and a wireless network. Look for the ease with which you can configure it
- Antivirus: Virus threats are constantly evolving. A Security suite should continually scan your computer and files for harmful viruses and be updated regularly so it can detect new viruses. Look for the effectiveness with which it cleans your system.
- Antispyware: Spyware comes in all shapes and sizes. The antispyware function of the security software should defend against adware, keyloggers, trojans and more. Look for how effective is the protection provided by your Internet Security program and how frequently it gets updated.
- Other Security/Features – Top–ranking suites have additional security and features including anti–phishing, email and IM scanning and parental controls. Look for them, They are important.
Based on the above, we have compiled a list of our top 10 best Internet Security Programs, in the order of Priority.
We do not claim that this list is comprehensive and correct from every perspective. You will appreciate that software review is a subjective matter and a feature, whcih I like most, may not be that important for somebody else.
PC Tools Internet Security: All-in-one security suite featuring the award-winning anti-spyware (Spyware Doctor), anti-virus, firewall and spam protection. PC Tools Internet Security Suite offers powerful anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall and spam protection in one application. Detects, removes and blocks all types of spyware, adware, viruses, Trojans, worms, keyloggers and other online threats. A complete package.
Norton Internet Security 2009: This product is from Symantec, the world leader in online security. They are known for producing quality security software that has protected computers and families for years. Norton Internet Security is packed with an award-winning antispyware and antivirus features into an attractive, user-friendly interface. This is a great option for someone who wants maximum security with little hassle.
CA Internet Security: CA Internet Security Suite Plus provides comprehensive protection against Internet threats that can jeopardize your privacy and diminish PC performance. It also helps ensure your important files, photos, music, and PC settings are safe, by letting you easily back them up, restore them, or transfer them to a new PC.
Bit Defender Total Security 2009: BitDefender Total Security 2009 is a great too at protecting your PC against viruses, spyware and other web threats that can infiltrate your computer. BitDefender is easy to use for the novice when run on the default configuration, but it can sometimes be difficult to configure when it comes to any advanced functionality or custom configurations.
Panda Internet Security 2009: Panda Internet Security 2009 is a security suite that lets you use the Internet w ith complete peace of mind. It protects you from viruses, spyware, rootkits, hackers, online fraud, identity theft and all other Internet threats. The anti-spam engine will keep your inbox free from junk mail while the Parental Control feature ensures your children can use the Web safely. And thanks to the new Collective Intelligence technology, the solution is now much faster than previous versions.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009: Complete Protection for your PC. The all-in-one security solution that offers a worry-free computing environment for you and your family. Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 has everything you need for a safe and secure Internet experience.
Zone Alarm Internet Security: ZoneAlarm pioneered the personal computer firewall used by over 60 million people worldwide, and their parent company, Check Point Software, invented the enterprise firewall used by every member of the Fortune 100. They know how to keep the bad guys out. Lots of programs can remove viruses and spyware. But once you’ve been infected, it may be too late to protect yourself. ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite prevents malicious software from infecting your computer in the first place with multiple layers of protection.
Trend Micro Internet Security Pro: Trend Micro Internet Security Pro, formally known as PC-cillin, is a vast offering of useful security and PC upkeep utilities for the home user that will keep your system clean and running well. A system tuner that offers the ability to back up your system state, clean your registry, delete tracking cookies and remove browsing history is part of the Pro Services portion of Trend Micro’s program as well as several other offerings.
Norman Security: Norman Security Suite is a set of security programs to guard you against Internet threats such as viruses, worms, trojans, spyware and hackers. The different programs will protect you against inappropriate content, rootkits and other hostile activity against you and your computer, whether you are using on-line banking, chatting, emailing, playing, or just surfing the Internet.
McAfee: This software suite has proven itself time and time again against some of the most rigorous tests, including ICSA, West Coasts Labs Levels 1 & 2 and Virus Bulletin 100%. Each of these tests came to the same conclusion—McAfee Internet Security Suite will protect your computer and your personal information from the dangers that lurk on the web.