What is Win32.Conficker
Win32/Conficker is a worm that infects other computers across a network by exploiting a vulnerability in the Windows Server service (SVCHOST.EXE). If the vulnerability is successfully exploited, it could allow remote code execution when file sharing is enabled. Depending on the specific variant, it may also spread via removable drives and by exploiting weak administrator passwords. It disables several important system services and security products and downloads arbitrary files.
Aliases of Win32.Conficker
- Worm:Win32/Conficker.A (Microsoft)
- Crypt.AVL (AVG)
- Mal/Conficker-A (Sophos)
- Trojan.Win32.Pakes.lxf (F-Secure)
- Trojan.Win32.Pakes.lxf (Kaspersky)
- W32.Downadup (Symantec)
- Worm:Win32/Conficker.B (Microsoft)
- WORM_DOWNAD.A (Trend Micro)
How Win32.Conficker Propagates to your system
Win32/Conficker.B has multiple propagation methods. These include the following:
- Exploitation of the vulnerability that is patched by security update 958644 (MS08-067)
- The use of network shares
- The use of AutoPlay functionality
Therefore, you must be careful when you clean a network so that the threat is not reintroduced to systems that have previously been cleaned.
What are the symptoms of Win32.Conficker
If your computer is infected with this worm, you may not experience any symptoms, or you may experience any of the following symptoms:
- Account lockout policies are being tripped.
- Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), Windows Defender, and Error Reporting Services are disabled.
- Domain controllers respond slowly to client requests.
- The network is congested.
- Various security-related Web sites cannot be accessed.
Do I need to remove Conficker
You can yourself search your computer manually, but it is not recommended unless you are a tech-geek. To save time and effort, we recommend you to download a FREE Scanner.
If you want to manually remove Win32.Conficker from your system, then you can go ahead to the Microsoft site, where you will find manual instructions for the same.