Keystroke Logging, often called Keylogging, is the dubious art of capturing and recording Keystrokes as you type on your keyboard. The sole purpose of Keylogger spyware is to spy on your data, collect sensitive information and provide it to others for fraudulent uses, although sometimes keylogger software are also used for benign purposes also.
There are basically Three Categories of Keyloggers.
- Hardware Keyloggers: They are physically connected either within your keyboard or between your keyboard and your PC.
- Keylogger Software: They reside within your PC software.
- Other Types of Keyloggers: Besides the above types, there are other types of keyloggers also like Remote Access software Keyloggers, Remote Access Hardware Keyloggers also known as Wireless Hardware Keyloggers, Wireless Keylogger sniffers and Acoustic Keylogger, but are not so common.
How to get rid of Keyloggers:
Hardware Keyloggers can be easily prevented, if you are vigilant enough. You just have to be more careful while allowing access to your hardware. And if you cannot avoid it, just keep regular watch on the cables and keyboards.
To remove Keylogger Software, there are multiple techniques used, depending upon the type of keylogger program being used. Following techniques are commonly used by the anti keyloggers.
- Use Anti-spywares: Many of the keylogger freeware are able to detect most of the keylogger freeware and remove them. So use a good quality Anti-Spyware program.
- Use Good Firewalls: Firewalls do not remove keyloggers but they spy keyloggers and prevent the data being transacted by them to their remote masters.
- Automatic form filler programs: This is a smart way to secretly enter your username and password without using keyboards. Something like Google Toolbar. But if you prefer to disable keyloggers in this manner then you have to be sure of the form filler program and that should be trustworthy.
- Web Based Keyboards: The are also used to prevent keylogger activities. Many websites provide an online keyboard just near the username and password fields. You can use them through your mouse. No Keyboards keys are used and hence you avoid keylogger detection.
- There are many other techniques like use of Alternative keyboard layouts, Speech Recognitions, Handwriting recognition etc., which are not that popular but are effective to disable Keylogger activities.
If you want to have a decent free anti keylogger software and not in the mood to search more, then KeyScrambler is a FREE download to stop Keylogger. KeyScrambler Anti Keylogger is also available as a browser addon for Firefox 3. You can safely download it from Mozilla Firefox 3 addon site. KeyScrambler has released the latest version of this useful Anti Keylogger program.