With the advancement of technology, malware writers are inventing newer threats to your online security. Poisioning of Search Results is now becoming more and more common and I daily observe rogue websites in the search results of all the popular Search Engines.
These online security threats in the form of rogue website. pose a great danger to your security. As soon as you visit them, you may be asked to download best-of-the-world security software, which is actually nothing but full of crap and may cause malware downloads onto your system.
These websites sometimes also push drive-by-download scripts by taking advantage of some vulnerabilities in your browser. You never know what happened, and your system is infected with malware scripts, which cause serious threats.
In such a situation, it is extremely important to exercise restraint and follow think-before-you-click approach. It is always advisable to use a online security tool, which could let you know whether a particular link is safe to visit or not.
Which are the best free Online Security Tools
There are lots of online security tools available like McAfee Site Advisor, WOT, Finjan and AVG LinkScanner for free download. While McAfee Site Advisor, WOT and Finjan are browser addons, which integrate with your browser seamlessly, AVG LinkScanner is a stand alone application, which you have to download from AVG website and install in your computer.
In this post, we will take a closer look at AVG LinkScanner.
AVG LinkScanner checks each web page in real-time before it opens on your PC. If it sees trouble ahead, it stops you. It’s quick and easy to install, runs smoothly alongside other major brands of security software and it’s free. Earlier this tool was available only to the paid customers of AVG, but recently they have made it a stand-alone application decided to open their door to all people.
- Scans the results of web searches in Google, Yahoo! and MSN so you know whether a page is safe before clicking on it.
- Uses the intelligence gathered by a global community of online threat detectors.
- Analyzes individual pages rather than entire sites because single pages may be threatened.
- Scans the pages behind all the links you click or type into your browser.
AVG LinkScanner uses two pronged approach for safeguarding you from poisonous web pages and links.
- Search-Shield scans search results and places a safety rating next to each link, so you know where it’s safe to click.
- Active Surf-Shield scans the page behind any link you click on or any web address you type into your browser. If the page is poisoned, it stops you from opening it. (This happens so quickly that you shouldn’t even notice it.)
Cool Features of this Free Online Security Tool
- Compatible with current products from other major security brands, so you can continue to use your existing software with AVG LinkScanner.
- Runs silently in the background—you won’t notice it until a threat is detected.
- Minimal use of system resources—it won’t slow down your computer.
- Easy to install and run.
- Protects you immediately without need of a system scan.
- Automatically updates whenever a new threat is found.
- Works with most popular Windows OS including Win2k, XP, Vista (32 &64 bit) and Internet Explorer (6.0+) and Firefox (2.0+) browsers.
The program also gives you the option of installing the AVG Security Toolbar, which gives you easy access to turning Active Surf-Shield and Search-Shield on and off.
A useful application. Download here.