One of the most feared and often highly misrepresented term of computer terminology. The root of ALL evils, at least many think so. I have seen many long time computer users linking all sorts of hardware and software troubles and crashes to so-called viruses in their system. But it is not so.
What actually are AntiViruses ?
Too Simple a question, who doesn’t know the answer. But technically…
Antivirus software are computer programs that attempt to identify, neutralize or eliminate malicious software. The term “antivirus” is used because the earliest examples were designed exclusively to combat computer viruses; however most modern antivirus software is now designed to combat a wide range of threats, including worms, phishing attacks, rootkits, trojan horses and other malware. Antivirus software typically uses two different approaches to accomplish this:
- examining (scanning) files to look for known viruses matching definitions in a virus dictionary, and
- identifying suspicious behavior from any computer program which might indicate infection.
As you must have used many Antivirus programs, we are not talking about them in this post. There are the merits and demerits of all of them. But one thing is for sure. No Antivirus is perfect. By the very nature of their working principle, Antivirus invent the process of cleaning a virus only after a virus is born. And this gap, between invention of a virus and its vaccine decides the effectiveness of an anti virus software.
Here comes the role of Free Online Antivirus Programs.
How Online Anti virus programs help ?
Once it is established that no Anti virus program is perfect, then it is sometimes better to apply double protection, meaning that you you two anti virus programs to scan your PC. But you cannot (or rather should not) use two anti virus programs simultaneously on one machine. So, why not try using free online antivirus programs. So that is the reason of writing this post.
Here we introduce you to 10 best online free anti virus scan utilities, which you can use absolutely FREE.
- Trend Micro HouseCall 6.6 Free Scan: HouseCall is a FREE Web-based tool designed to scan your PC for a wide range of Internet security threats including viruses, worms, Trojans, and spyware. It also detects system vulnerabilities and provides a link so you can easily download missing security patches. After each scan, HouseCall delivers a detailed report, which identifies security threats detected on your computer.
- Panda ActiveScan: Panda ActiveScan 2.0 detects all types of viruses, Trojans, worms, spyware, dialers, hacking tools, jokes, and other active or inactive (latent) security risks on your PC. It also detects vulnerabilities of software installed on your PC which could compromise your computer’s security. You can use Panda ActiveScan 2.0 whenever you want to make sure that your PC is free from all types of threats. Also, if you are registered or have bought the paid version you will be able to disinfect the threats that ActiveScan 2.0 finds on your PC.
- Computer Associates Virus Scanner: This scanner requires a browser such as Internet Explorer which is capable of rendering ActiveX objects.
- Symantec Security Check: Virus Detection checks for known threats, including top threats identified by Symantec Security Response. It provides an analysis of your results and offers suggestions for further action. It does not examine compressed files. In order to run Virus Detection you must be using Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher with ActiveX and Scripting enabled.
- McAfee FreeScan: McAfee FreeScan helps you detect thousands of viruses on your computer. Based on the award-winning McAfee VirusScan engine, FreeScan searches for viruses, including the latest known “in the wild” viruses, and displays a detailed list of any infected files. Should viruses be found, FreeScan even provides links to more information about the viruses and what you can do to clean your system.
- BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan: BitDefender Online Scanner is an on-demand virus scanner which incorporates the award-winning BitDefender scanning engines. You can use it to scan your system’s memory, all files and drives’ boot sectors, and to automatically clean infected files. It is also ActiveX based. Requires Internet Explorer.
- ESET Online Scanner: A user-friendly, powerful tool, our online antivirus utility can remove malware—viruses, spyware, adware, worms, trojans, and more—from any PC utilizing only a web browser. No installation required. The scanner uses the same ThreatSense® technology and signatures as ESET NOD32 Antivirus, which means it is always up-to-date.
- Free Virus Scan – Kaspersky Lab: This free online virus scanner is a great way to find out if you have any viruses or spyware on your machine without having to uninstall your current antivirus software or install a new one. Most importantly, you can see what viruses your current antivirus software let slip through. It is stated that this free online virus scanner is very powerful and scans your machine very deeply, so it could take hours to complete. We suggest running it during a time of low activity.
- F-Secure Free Online Virus Scanner: F-Secure Online Virus Scanner (version 3.3) is a free service. Use it to find out if your computer is infected, and disinfect your computer if needed. The product will automatically download the necessary components and virus definition databases as it is started. The size of the download package is about 35 MB incl. databases
- Authentium :: Command-On-Demand – Free Virus Scanner: Authentium Command On Demand is a highly-effective, totally free virus scanner. Command on Demand scans for more than half a million Internet threats, using definition files that are updated daily.