What is Packed.Generic.118
Packed.Generic.118 is a heuristic detection for files that may have been obfuscated or encrypted in order to conceal them from antivirus software.
Technical details of Packed.Generic.118
Characteristics of Packed.Generic.118
A packer is a tool that compresses, encrypts or obfuscates executable files. Malware authors often use packers to conceal threats from detection by antivirus software. Packed.Generic.118 detects a packer that is not known to be used for legitimate purposes.
Files that are detected as Packed.Generic.118 are considered malicious. We suggest that any files you believe are incorrectly detected as Packed.Generic.118 be submitted to Symantec Security Response.
Removing of Packed.Generic.118
Removal of malware like Packed.Generic.118 can be best done by automatic removing through a reputed Security Software like Norton 360. We discourage removing malware like Packed.Generic.118 using manual removal instructions, because it requires lots of expertise and chances are always there that the malware is not removed at all.
How to get rid of Packed.Generic.118 - Removal Steps:
- Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). This is important step because if a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer. Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.
- Download Norton 360, if do not have it already.
- It has been successfully tested that Norton 360 protection effectively cleans your system against Packed.Generic.118 infections. We suggest that you update the virus definitions of your Norton 360 protection.
- If you do not have Norton 360, we recommend that you first download the Trialware version (Absolutely FREE) and scan your system. Do download the Trialware version, click here to go to Symantec Website and Click on Trialware. .
- Run a full system scan. Make sure that Norton 360 is configured to scan all the files.
- In case the malware Packed.Generic.118 does not allow you to scan, then restart your system in Safe Mode and run the scan again.
- Take steps as suggested. After you delete the malware Packed.Generic.118, restart the system in normal mode.
- If you get some error messages on Restart, click Ok and proceed. Now you need to delete the registry keys created by the malware Packed.Generic.118.
- Warning: Registry Editing may be risky for your Windows Installation. We recommend using a professional registry cleaner software like PC Tools Registry Mechanic. For manual registry cleaning, Click Start > Run, Type regedit and Click OK. Remember to take backup of your registry before proceeding
- Navigate to the registry keys related to Packed.Generic.118 malware (given above) and delete them.
- Restart the system.
>>> Tip: Click Here to Boost Internet and PC performance